Vancouver Island Brewing is seeking a Maintenance Mechanic/Millwright to join our brew crew! You will be responsible for working with our High-Speed Packaging Line including breakdown maintenance, proactive maintenance, repair and overhaul. As part of our Maintenance Team, you will also be responsible for troubleshooting, maintaining packaging equipment, seamers, labelers and packers as well as palletizers. This position reports to the Production Manager and actively works with members of the maintenance, brewing, and warehouse teams.
- Identify and troubleshoot repairs/installations of equipment irregularities and equipment malfunctions
- Repair and/or replace malfunctioning machinery parts through a preventative maintenance program or ad hoc maintenance requirements
- Continually monitor equipment to ensure proper operation, and work with production team, contractors, and vendors as needed
- Work with Production team to schedule equipment downtime for routine maintenance
- Provide technical feedback, analysis, and assist with daily duties and reporting responsibilities in support of the maintenance department and operations
- Monitor electrical, mechanical, heating and cooling systems, plumbing, gas, air, drain and wastewater systems
- Read blueprints and schematics to determine work procedures in order to dismantle, overhaul, and assemble industrial machinery by using hand and power tools
- Assist team in keeping maintenance shop and work-stations neat and organized
- Respond to emergency calls during off shift as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Required Experience, Skills & Attributes:
- Familiarity with brewery safety programs and priority commitment to worker safety
- Have functional knowledge of all systems utilized by production, including:
- Brewhouse: Steam system, centrifugal pumps, spent grain system, mill, augers, heat exchangers, gear boxes etc.
- Glycol System Chillers, pumps, evaporators, plumbing, solenoids, PID Controllers etc.
- Steam System: Boiler, heat exchangers, steam traps, etc.
- Packaging Equipment: Canning, labelling, box forming, and kegging lines
- Knowledge of preventative maintenance and equipment reliability
- Experience with computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS)
- Experience with basic Microsoft applications (MS office)
- Knowledge of solid-state electronics including PLC and VFD troubleshooting experience
- Fabrication and welding experience
- An understanding of brewery sanitization and food safety programs
- Possess creative problem solving skills to perform equipment improvements and enhancements to optimize production with positive contribution to all key brewery indicators of safety, quality, cost, and service
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the Maintenance Mechanic/Millwright is regularly required to stand or walk for long periods of time, use hands to finger, handle, control, or feel objects tools or controls, and to reach with hands and arms. Must be able to kneel, stoop, crouch, or crawl and maintain or regain their balance. Regularly required to lift and or move up to 75 pounds and occasionally lift and or move up to 100 pounds with assistance.
Work Environment: The Maintenance Mechanic/Millwright may be exposed to cold, damp, wet environments with hot liquids, airborne particles, chemicals, and moving machinery. There can be loud noise levels, and personal protective equipment is required on the production floor at all times. Complying with confined spaces and hot work programs will be required.
How to Apply:
Interested in joining our awesome brew crew? If so, please submit a resume and cover letter with salary expectations. Please indicate in the subject line/cover letter that you are applying for the Maintenance Mechanic/Millwright position.
We thank all candidates for their interest and advise that only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Vancouver Island Brewing is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law. If you require assistance or a reasonable accommodation in completing the application materials or any aspect of the application process, please contact Tierra, HR Manager.