Vancouver Island Brewing is seeking a Maintenance Manager to join our brew crew! This specialized position is responsible for managing maintenance projects throughout the brewery facility and assumes the critical role of directing the activities for ensuring maximum production efficiency with minimum equipment downtime in a clean, safe environment. The Maintenance Manager is also responsible for overseeing preventative maintenance (PM) program tasks on all shifts, as well as daily routine service on brewing and packaging equipment in all areas of the facility.
Manage maintenance projects, including inhouse projects, as well as working outside with contractors with the installation and commissioning of new parts and equipment
• Work directly with the operations and production teams to plan facility improvement projects
• Administer and manage computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS), to issue and track work orders, maintain parts inventory, and order replacement parts as necessary
• Continually monitor equipment to ensure proper operation, and work with production team and vendors as needed
• Work with Production team to schedule equipment downtime for routine maintenance
• Provide technical feedback, analysis, and assist with daily duties and reporting responsibilities in support of the maintenance department and operations
• Monitor electrical, mechanical, heating and cooling systems, plumbing, gas, air, drain and wastewater systems
• Knowledge and aptitude to repair hydraulic and pneumatic components that include pumps, valves, cylinders, and compressors
• Develop, manage, and update SOPs and logs for preventative maintenance schedules
• Develop and implement strategies to help improve efficiencies throughout the production facility
• Identify, propose, and discuss solutions of equipment and facility issues with brewery management
• Read blueprints and schematics to determine work procedures in order to dismantle, overhaul, and assemble industrial machinery by using hand and power tools
• Assist team in keeping maintenance shop and work-stations neat and organized
• Respond to emergency calls during off shift as needed
• Other duties as assigned
Required Experience, Skills & Attributes:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Familiarity with brewery safety programs and priority commitment to worker safety
• Have functional knowledge of all systems utilized by production, including:
o Brewhouse: Steam system, centrifugal pumps, spent grain system, mill, augers, heat exchangers, gear boxes etc.
o Glycol System Chillers, pumps, evaporators, plumbing, solenoids, PID Controllers etc.
o Steam System: Boiler, heat exchangers, steam traps, etc.
o Packaging Equipment: Canning, bottling, and kegging lines
o All Other Brewery and tasting rooms systems and utilities
• Knowledge of preventative maintenance and equipment reliability
• Cost accounting, capital planning, budget making skills
• Experience with computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS)
• Computer proficiency in MS Office, project management software and a CAD program
• An understanding of brewery sanitization and food safety programs
• Ability to manage and provide leadership amongst a diverse team
• Possess creative problem solving skills to perform equipment improvements and enhancements to optimize production with positive contribution to all key brewery indicators of safety, quality, cost, and service
• High school graduate or equivalent
• A Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, electrical engineering, or any other technical related discipline, with a minimum of three (3) years experience in general maintenance in a packaging environment, or equivalent work experience required
• Minimum of three (3) years in supervisory industrial maintenance management
• Experience with automated manufacturing and packaging systems preferred
• Minimum of three (3) years of experience in production/manufacturing environment
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the Maintenance Manager is regularly required to stand or walk for long periods of time, use hands to finger, handle, control, or feel objects tools or controls, and to reach with hands and arms. Must be able to kneel, stoop, crouch, or crawl and maintain or regain their balance. Regularly required to lift and or move up to 75 pounds and occasionally lift and or move up to 100 pounds with assistance.
Work Environment: The Maintenance Manager may be exposed to a damp, wet environment with hot liquids, airborne particles, chemicals and moving machinery. There can be loud noise levels, and personal protective equipment is required on the production floor at all times.
How to Apply:
Our ideal candidate has a passion for our culture and is thirsty to work in a fast-paced environment! Interested in joining our awesome brew crew? If so, please submit a resume and cover letter with salary expectations by clicking APPLY NOW. Please indicate in the subject line/cover letter that you are applying for the Maintenance Manager position.
We thank all candidates for their interest and advise that only those selected for interviews will be contacted.